ViaHero · Updated June 26, 2018
There’s never a bad time to visit Colombia. Don’t believe us? Here’s why! And as always, if you’ve got any questions don’t hesitate to shoot us a message.
Colombia’s weather varies from city to city, but it’s always basically perfect
Because Colombia is located near the equator, the climate is typically warm with not much variation in temperature; the average temperature is around 75°F/24°C throughout the year. However, there is a decent amount of rain, specifically during the rainy season of May–November.
The weather does change based on region, however, so keep track of the differences from city to city. Be wary of your regional climate, and ask your Hero what to expect.
Here’s the city-by-city weather breakdown
- Bogota: Perched high in the Andes, Bogota is typically pretty cool, with an average temperature of just 57°F— so you might want to pack a sweater.
- Cartagena: Its proximity to the equator makes Cartagena one of the hottest cities in Colombia, with an average daily high of 88°F throughout the year. The upside? Perfect beach weather.
- Medellin: It’s not called the “City of Eternal Spring” for nothing—Medellin averages a perfect 72°F.
- Cali: Cali is considered a “tropical savanna” climate, meaning that it’s warmer than other parts of the country. Cali is fairly dry during the dry season, quite rainy during the wet season, and boasts an average high of 86°F throughout the year.
- Barranquilla: Barranquilla’s climate is fairly similar to
Cali’s,but much less rainy. This keeps Barranquilla even more sunnythan most of Colombia, with an average daily high of 90°F.
- The Andes: The tropical mountain climate of the Andes is totally unique; cool, foggy, and very wet at lower altitudes, its glacial peaks are cold and dry. However, the climate of the mountains has been changing over the years as climate change has taken its toll.
- The Amazon: The tropical rainforest of the Amazon is similar to those across the world: hot, humid, and rainy. Make sure to wear light clothing!
There’s always a festival to experience
It’s always a good time to go to
Travel in the off season if you want to avoid the crowds
More people than ever are coming to experience Colombia every year. Most arrive in the winter to escape the cold, or in the summer for an unforgettable holiday. If you’re hoping to avoid the crowds, consider visiting during the fall. It’ll be just as incredible, but with fewer travelers around.
Going in the off season is also cheaper
Going to Colombia in the off seasons doesn’t just help avoid crowds—it’s also cheaper. Have one of our Heroes
All things considered, there’s never a bad time to visit Colombia
Basically, there’s never a bad time to travel to Colombia. The weather’s always amazing, there are incredible things to do in every city, and one of our local Heroes can take all the hassle out of planning your trip. So what are you waiting for?
One of our local Colombian trip planners will plan your ultimate, personalized Colombian experience whenever you decide to go—so let us know if you have any questions! And before your trip, make sure to check out: