It's no secret that Japan is home to a lot of "oddities" for those not familiar with the culture. Read on for the best of Japan's most culture-shocking elements, as gleaned from Reddit. Afterward, feel free to message us with any questions you have about all things Japan.
Let's just hit the ground running on this one...
1. You can get dumplings the size of a child (5.6 pounds)
Source: WTF Japan subreddit
2. KitKats are popular in Japan because the popular Japanese phrase "Kittokatsu," which means "You will surely win," sounds like
KitKat, and parents started giving them to kids as an encouragement treat
3. Park entrances have automatic doors
4. Manmade Meteor shower planned for Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
5. Parents give their kids to sumo wrestlers to make them cry?
6. It is encouraged to nap while at work
7. Toilets are fancy... to say the least.
8. Speaking of toilets, there is an entire museum devoted to them.
9. Train rides are never dull
10. You can order horse sashimi
11. Vending machines for everything... including bras
Wendys serves burgers with foie gras and truffles
Source: LA Times
13. Reality TV doesn't look like "The Bachelor"
14. Samara from "the Ring" plays baseball, apparently
15. Don't go to Japan without having seen this video...
Looking for more weird Japan? Check out these subreddits:
- Connect With a Local to Plan Your Trip
- Japan Travel Tips
- Off the Beaten Path in Japan
- Japanese Visa Requirements
- The Perfect 2 Weeks in Japan
- Contact Us