Best Time to Visit Cuba: How to Plan Your Trip
When is the best time to visit Cuba? Spring.
By April, peak tourist season has ended. But it’s not until July when hurricane season begins. This is our favorite time to visit Cuba. The weather is warm, but not too hot. It rains, but usually not for too long and not every day. And because it’s not peak tourist season, prices are even cheaper.
Before your trip, make sure to check out:
- You Can Still Travel to Cuba: Update 2017
- Cuba FAQ
- Cuban Tourist Cards and Visas
- Cuba Info for Americans
- 6 Airbnb's in Cuba You Need to See
- Our homepage on Cuba
WEATHER IN CUBA
Dry Season versus Wet Season
The dry season in Cuba runs from November to April, which makes all of those months a wonderful time to visit Cuba. We like May, too, because it’s just the beginning of the wet season and you still get many dry days. Hurricane season runs from July to November, so even though the rainy season ends in October, we’d generally prefer not to travel to Cuba anytime during Hurricane season.
December to March are the coolest months, although they are by no means cold. The average daily temperature is 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- April and May bring average temperatures around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s hot enough to go to the beach, but it’s not so hot and humid that you’ll be changing your clothes three times a day.
- From June to September, average temperatures are in the 80s with highs in the 90s. These are also the months with the highest humidity and chance of rain.
- Things cool off again in October and November with temperatures around 76 degrees.
If you want to know more about traveling in Cuba, Lianet is a local expert and can help you out.
COST OF TRAVEL TO CUBA: PEAK SEASON VS. OFF-SEASON
Some costs of travel are constant all year long, but some things, like plane tickets and accommodations, vary in cost depending on the time of year. Here’s a quick reference guide.
Peak Season: December to March, July and August
- Plane tickets: Prices start around $400 from the east coast of the USA and $500 from the west coast.
- Casas particulares: Room rates start around $25/night and go up from there. Rooms are very difficult to find and must be booked well in advance.
Shoulder Season: April, May, June, and November
- Plane tickets: Prices start around $300 from the east coast of the USA and $350 from the west coast.
- Casas particulares: Room rates start around $25/night and go up from there. Rooms are easier to find but it is still wise to book in advance.
Off-Season: September and October
- Plane tickets: Prices start around $250 from the east coast of the USA and $300 from the west coast.
- Casas particulares: Room rates start around $20/night and go up from there. Rooms are easier to find but there is more last-minute availability, even in Havana.
WHY SPRING IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT CUBA
Between the great weather, cheaper plane tickets, and availability of excellent accommodations, our vote for the best time to visit Cuba is in the spring. It’s warm enough to go to the beach, but it’s not so humid that your shirt sticks to you within minutes of putting it on.
Plenty of festivals in the spring are worth traveling to Cuba for as well. Consider visiting Cuba for:
- May Day
- Romerias de Mayo
- Old Havana: City in Movement (urban dance festival)
- Havana Biennial
- Feria Internacional Cubadisco
THE WORST TIME TO VISIT CUBA
While you can definitely enjoy a trip to Cuba any time of year (just ask our local Heroes how!), it's probably the least fun in July and August. These are the hottest, most humid months when hurricanes are likely AND tons of tourists are visiting. It's a double whammy. Everything is crowded and you risk needing to cancel your trip if a hurricane rolls through.
THE SECOND BEST TIME TO VISIT CUBA
If a spring trip doesn't work for you, visit Cuba in the late fall or winter. The weather is fantastic! You'll spend a little more and things will be a little more crowded than they would be during the spring, but it's worth it. Cuba can be a great budget destination in the Caribbean any time of year.